Colleagues and Fellow Veterans,
We have had a number of inquiries about the newly appointed members to our Veterans Advisory Committee on Education to be chaired by former U.S. Senator James H. Webb.
By statute, the Committee advises the Secretary on existing VA education benefit programs and services and recommends new and improved education benefit programs and services. The Committee submits its recommendations and reports to the Secretary and may also submit reports to Congress.
We believe this is a hallmark event having such an incredible group of people willing to step up and serve Veterans in this unique way.
Serving alongside Senator Webb on the committee will be:
- Mr. Jared S. Lyon (Vice Chairman), President and CEO of Student Veterans of America;
- Ms. Dawn Halfaker, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Halfaker and Associates;
- Dr. Sandra Harris-Hooker, Vice President and Senior Associate Dean at Morehouse School of Medicine;
- Ms. Ashlynne Haycock, Senior Coordinator for Education Support Services for Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors;
- Ms. Abby Kinch, Veteran student and Present of the Florida State University Student Veterans of America chapter;
- The Honorable Jefferson Bingham Miller, Senior Legislative Advisor at McDermott Will and Emery, former seven term Congressman and former Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee;
- Dr. Javier Miyares, President of University of Maryland University College;
- Mr. Jack Tilley, former Sergeant Major of the Army;
- Mr. Robert E. Wallace, Executive Director, Veterans of Foreign Wars;
- Dr. Joseph W. Westcott, Executive Director of the North Carolina State Approving Agency;
- Mr. Kyle Jerome White, seventh living recipient of the Medal of Honor.
We all have much to be thankful for – as I recently saw on a bumper sticker …. Thank a Veteran, we are the home of the free because of the brave….
Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving – you deserve it!
Curtis L. Coy
Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity
Veterans Benefits Administration
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Washington, DC 20420
VA Core Values: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence (“I CARE”)
NOVEMBER 2017 OUTREACH CALENDAR (VA)
Click on the above Link
For your information and to share with others in your community, attached is a list of upcoming Veteran ceremonies, activities and outreach events in our region for the month of November.
I know there are many other events out there so if your event is not listed, please send me a summary (include the “who, what, when, and where”) and I’d be happy to send out an update next week before Veterans Day.
Also, I will be sending out a new list each month so please send me any events in your area by the end of the month so I have time to include your information.
Community Outreach Specialist
VA New England Healthcare System
VAVS Meeting Reminder
If you plan to go to the Festival, please notice the parking permit that you can print out.
Attached, you will find Calendar, VAVS Meeting Reminder, Volunteer Needs, and a Parking Pass for Festival on November 8th.
Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Hospital
Program Support Assistant – Voluntary Service
OMAHA, Neb. — U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs officials say an unauthorized, secret waiting list for psychotherapy appointments at Omaha’s VA hospital delayed care for 87 veterans this year. Letters addressed to Iowa Sens. Joni Ernst and Chuck Grassley and Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse — all Republicans — blamed the unauthorized list on “training […]
TRICARE Changes Survey Background: Last year’s National Defense Authorization Act contained a number of changes to TRICARE, most of which take effect January 1, 2018. The VFW believes service members, veterans and their families must be able to voice how these changes will impact them. To ensure your views and preferences are heard, the […]
Volunteers of the Red Coat Ambassador Program. Volunteer Ambassador’s at VA Boston greet Veterans and visitors as they enter the VA medical center, provide directions and information to the Veterans, and escort Veterans to their appointments if they need assistance. By Mackenzie Adams Friday, October 27, 2017 This week VA Boston Healthcare System’s dedicated volunteers […]
2017 VETERAN OUTREACH CALENDAR (2 MAY 17) For your information and to share with others in your community, below and attached, you will find a list of upcoming Veteran ceremonies, activities and outreach events in our region. As always, if you have a Veteran-related event, please send a summary of the event to me and […]
All Veterans please copy and post veteran’s suicide hotline? 800 273 8255. Also make a copy and put in your wallets or purses. Keep this number on you at all time because you never lnow when you will be able to help someone just by giving them this number
Welcome to the Veterans Crisis Line Website The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a […]