“If there is righteousness
“If there is righteousness
VA Announces Rollout and Application Process for New Veterans ID Card
WASHINGTON — Today the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service.
This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor Veterans, and today’s rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.
Only those Veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide proof of military service, and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD-214 form to obtain promotional discounts and other services where offered to Veterans.
“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for most Veterans to show proof of service,” said VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, Veterans with honorable service to our nation will no longer need to carry around their paper DD-214s to obtain Veteran discounts and other services.”
The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated time in service, but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the armed forces, including the reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) can request a VIC.
Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of their cards at vets.gov. A digital version of the VIC will be available online by mid-December.
Thanks to Tom Pandolfi for some very interesting facts.
Some interesting veteran facts….
Currently the United States of America has 308 million citizens yet only 2.1 million Armed Forces members and reservists. That is less than 1 percent of this nation’s citizens whose sole duty is to protect the rights and freedoms of the other 99 percent. 17.5% are women
There are 23.8 million living Veterans of which 7.5% are women.
There are 37 million dependents of living Veterans and survivors of deceased Veterans.…
Together they represent 20% of the US population.
230,432 living Veterans in Connecticut.
170,645 Wartime Veterans in Connecticut.
147,233 of Connecticut Veterans are over age 60 (64%)
Vietnam Era Veterans – 7.9 million representing the largest segment of the Veteran population.
Approximately 600,000 Veterans die every year…..1800 die every day.1 in 4 deaths of Americans are veterans…..20 Veterans commit suicide every day (down from 22)
85% of Veterans do not receive health care through the VA.
Most Veterans die in the community, 4% die in VA facilities.