Colleagues and Fellow Veterans,
We have had a number of inquiries about the newly appointed members to our Veterans Advisory Committee on Education to be chaired by former U.S. Senator James H. Webb.
By statute, the Committee advises the Secretary on existing VA education benefit programs and services and recommends new and improved education benefit programs and services. The Committee submits its recommendations and reports to the Secretary and may also submit reports to Congress.
We believe this is a hallmark event having such an incredible group of people willing to step up and serve Veterans in this unique way.
Serving alongside Senator Webb on the committee will be:
- Mr. Jared S. Lyon (Vice Chairman), President and CEO of Student Veterans of America;
- Ms. Dawn Halfaker, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Halfaker and Associates;
- Dr. Sandra Harris-Hooker, Vice President and Senior Associate Dean at Morehouse School of Medicine;
- Ms. Ashlynne Haycock, Senior Coordinator for Education Support Services for Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors;
- Ms. Abby Kinch, Veteran student and Present of the Florida State University Student Veterans of America chapter;
- The Honorable Jefferson Bingham Miller, Senior Legislative Advisor at McDermott Will and Emery, former seven term Congressman and former Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee;
- Dr. Javier Miyares, President of University of Maryland University College;
- Mr. Jack Tilley, former Sergeant Major of the Army;
- Mr. Robert E. Wallace, Executive Director, Veterans of Foreign Wars;
- Dr. Joseph W. Westcott, Executive Director of the North Carolina State Approving Agency;
- Mr. Kyle Jerome White, seventh living recipient of the Medal of Honor.
We all have much to be thankful for – as I recently saw on a bumper sticker …. Thank a Veteran, we are the home of the free because of the brave….
Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving – you deserve it!
Curtis L. Coy
Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity
Veterans Benefits Administration
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Washington, DC 20420
VA Core Values: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence (“I CARE”)