The 2019 AMVETS Scholarship application cycle is January 21 through April 30th
- Two scholarships are specific to Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves:
- The AMVETS Scholarship: $4,000 – ($1,000 awarded annually over four years). three (3) awarded each year.
- The Dr. Aurelio M. Caccomo* Family Foundation Memorial Scholarship: $12,000 –
($3,000 awarded annually over four years), two (2) awarded each year
- » Apply here
- Two scholarships are specific to children/grandchildren of Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves who are currently High School seniors:
- The AMVETS Scholarship: $4,000 – ($1,000) awarded annually over four years) six (6) awarded each year
- The JROTC Scholarship: $1,000 – (one payment of $1,000), one (1) awarded each year (JROTC ONLY. Proof from JROTC instructor must be included with application.)
- » Apply now
* The Caccomo Memorial Scholarship is in memory and honoring Dr. Aurelio M. Caccomo, who immigrated from Rome to the United States in the 1950’s and became a physician, orthopedic surgeon, and Army Reservist. He served his adopted country in the Special Forces and retired as a Colonel. Dr. Caccomo spent the last fifteen year of his life serving at the University of Illinois in Chicago under the Department of Orthopedics and establishing his Family Foundation, which provides these meaningful and impactful scholarships for our veterans.
AMVETS scholarship FAQ
I am a stepchild/grandchild of a Veteran. Am I eligible to apply?
I am the spouse of a Veteran. Am I eligible to apply?
At this time, AMVETS National does not offer scholarships to spouses of Veterans.
I don’t know where to find my Veteran’s discharge papers! What do I do?
You can request copies of your Veteran’s discharge papers at https://www.archives.gov/
My Veteran is deceased, can I still apply?
FAQs For New Applicants
When will the application cycle for AMVETS National Scholarships open for 2019?
The scholarship cycle for 2019 will be open from January 21st through April 30th. Scholarship applications will be accepted during this time period and will not be reviewed until May 1, 2019. The 2019 scholarship recipients will be announced on May 31, 2019.
When will the scholarship funds be awarded?
Scholarship funds will be disbursed after the recipient has completed all required information and returned completed forms to AMVETS National HQ Programs department.
What are the eligibility requirements for the AMVETS National Scholarships?
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must provide evidence of active duty status or veteran status having served honorably
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Must have a high school diploma or GED*
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment to an eligible program
- Must not be in default on a federal student loan
- Must not be convicted under state or federal law for sale of or possession of illegal drugs
- Must agree to authorize AMVETS to publicize your scholarship award, if you are selected
* if in a senior year of high school, provide copies of most recent transcripts
What documents do I need to submit with my application?
- A copy of the veteran’s record of service demonstrating an honorable discharge (DD214)
or a letter from your commanding officer certifying active duty status or a copy of your Duty Orders
- A copy of your official high school or college/university transcripts for all courses attempted and any degrees or certificates awarded.
- A complete and signed copy of the applicant’s 1040 tax form must be enclosed. (Only the first two pages, no schedules or attachments.)
- A copy of the applicant’s Student Aid Report (SAR) from the free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Acceptance letter of letter stating student status from an accredited program.
- Essay (no more than 500 words) on a topic to be determined. Essay will be judged on adherence to theme, style, originality and overall quality.
- A resume detailing military duty and awards, volunteer activities, community services, and/or employment history for the past four years
What is the basis of selection for the AMVETS National Scholarships?
- All scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need, academic promise, and merit. The scholarships are intended to provide financial assistance for veterans, service members, and families that have exhausted government aid, or who might not otherwise have the financial means to further their education
- Must submit an online completed, signed application, together with all supporting documents, by the deadline listed
- Scholarship selection shall be made without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, or disability
- The award determination will be made on the selection committee’s scores of the overall quality of the application and the scholarship essay
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final and not subject to a review process
What type of educational programs may the AMVETS National Scholarships be used for?
- Part time or full time undergraduate courses
- Graduate courses (if successfully completed undergrad courses before scholarship has run out, the remaining monies may be used)
- Accredited degree or certificate programs
- Online educational programs
FAQs for AMVETS Scholarship Recipients
What do I need to do in order to qualify for renewal of the annual awards?
- The schools prescribed academic standards must be maintained
- Evidence of continued enrollment must be provided
- “Certificate of Registration” signed by the appropriate school official.
How will my personal information be used?
In the spirit of The Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. & 552A, as amended, protecting your privacy is important to us. AMVETS will use the personal information you provide for the sole purpose of evaluating your scholarship application. It will not be shared, sold or otherwise made available to any individual, corporation or organization. Disclosure is voluntary. However, failure to provide information could preclude your consideration for this scholarship.
Would you like to improve your SAT/ACT scores but have not done so because of the cost associated with the options for these types of preparatory programs? Check this out!
SAT and ACT College Test Prep Programs Discounted 90% for Veterans and Their Families. Request a program for your children or grandchildren.
Order online: www.eKnowledge.com/AMVETS or call eKnowledge 951–256-4076 (reference AMVETS). PowerPrep Programs are available online or DVD, students select the training they need and study at their own pace.